When critical steel and concrete bridge decks call for a specifically engineered waterproofing solution, D.S. Brown’s Deckguard® Spray Membrane provides a 100% solids two-component, bridge-grade elastomeric coating.
Deckguard® excels at providing watertight protection of both steel and concrete substrates against freeze-thaw degradation and the corrosive effects of winter salt spray ensuring extended service life of bridge structures. Applied using plural spray equipment, Deckguard® produces a seamless, flexible, and extremely durable barrier against water penetration and stray current.
Deckguard® is an easily installed spray on material that forms a tough, seamless waterproofing membrane for both highway and railroad bridge decks from Maine to Minnesota and around the globe. This cold-applied elastomeric barrier provides longer bridge deck lifecycle performance and more ease of application than environment harmful non-spray membranes, such as torch-applied and hot mop products. Deckguard’s cost-saving thin coating also outperforms all other types of spray-applied membranes, including Methyl-Methacrylate (MMA).
Deckguard® Passes the Test
D.S. Brown’s innovative waterproofing material has been tested to meet or exceed the most stringent U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) and American Railway Engineering and Maintenance-of-Way Association (AREMA) standards.
D.S. Brown is also the only manufacturer that evaluates each product batch and offers a spectrograph analysis from these tests for comparison with the spectrograph of the applied material to assure installed product quality (see testing in this video). D.S. Brown also provides onsite Quality Assurance inspections for the duration of each bridge project.
Deckguard® Spray Applied Membrane Applications
Deckguard’s two most common application sets include:
- Deckguard® Spray Membrane is specifically engineered for use on highway and railroad bridge decks, bridge abutments, pier caps, tunnels and pedestrian walkways.
- Deckguard® Spray Membrane can be used on intermodal and LRT rail bridges with or without protection board, providing fast turnaround for demanding schedules.
Advantages of Deckguard®
Deckguard’s superior toughness allows for short-term rubber-tired construction/vehicular traffic before returning the bridge deck to service. Note some of the key advantages of Deckguard® Spray Membrane:
- Low vapor transmission
- Applied to 5-mil profile steel decks without priming
- Low odor
- Meets AREMA Cold Spray-Applied Waterproofing requirements
- Seamless lap joints
- Low temperature flexibility
- Complies with “Buy America” requirements
- VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) Compliant
- Certified Applicator program
- 100% solids
- Non-hybrid system
- Excellent chemical resistance
- Superior crack-bridging
- Accepts thermal movement without crazing
- Infrared Spectroscopy used as part of Quality Control during manufacture
Connect with our D.S. Brown bridge products representatives – Ben Jacobus, Brent Toller, Mark Francis, Ralph Kleinman and Jack Mazur - to purchase.
Resources & Support for Deckguard® Spray Applied Membrane
Review the . . .
- D.S. Brown Deckguard® Spray Applied Waterproofing System Brochure
- Deckguard® Project Photos
- Testing Examples: Maine DOT
- Datasheet: Membrane
- Datasheet: Primer
- Datasheet: Tack Coat
- Datasheet: Caulk
- Specifications: Deckguard® for Concrete Highway Bridge Decks
- Specifications: Deckguard® for Concrete Railway Bridges
- Specifications: Deckguard® for Steel Railway Bridges
- Safety Data Sheet: Asphalt Rubber Blend
- Safety Data Sheet: Deckguard® Membrane Part A
- Safety Data Sheet: Deckguard® Membrane Part B
- Safety Data Sheet: Deckguard® Primer Part A
- Safety Data Sheet: Deckguard® Primer Part B
- Safety Data Sheet: Deckguard® Caulk Part A
- Safety Data Sheet: Deckguard® Caulk Part B
- Safety Data Sheet: Deckguard® Top Coat
- Video: Deckguard™ Spray Membrane
- Video: Deckguard® Spray Membrane Application
- Video: Deckguard® MPWS - Case Study METRA Bridges Project
About the D.S. Brown Company
The D.S. Brown Company, founded in 1890, designs, supplies, and manufactures engineered rubber, steel and concrete products for the transportation and infrastructure sector. D.S. Brown’s proprietary product line includes expansion joints, structural bearings, and waterproofing systems for constructing and rehabilitating highways and bridges. D.S. Brown’s home office and manufacturing facilities are in North Baltimore, Ohio.
D.S. Brown is fully integrated, performing and controlling all manufacturing processes internally:
- Research and Development
- Engineering Design/CAD Detailing
- Extruding, Molding and Testing
- Custom Steel Fabrication and Machining
D.S. Brown has the most comprehensive product line serving the transportation industry. We manufacture solutions for the most challenging infrastructure applications. Our high-quality engineered products are available worldwide for new construction and rehabilitation of bridges, highways, airfields, pavements, and parking structures.
- Bridges: Since the early 1960s, D.S. Brown has provided expansion joint systems and specialty products for bridges around the globe. Learn more about our solutions for bridges.
- Pavements: Building highways and airport pavements to last is a challenging engineering assignment, especially when the pavement must withstand heavy traffic, weather extremes, debilitating fuels and de-icing chemicals. You need reliable products with a proven track record. Learn more about our solutions for pavements.
- Architectural: D.S. Brown provides a variety of expansion joint products for parking garages and other architectural applications. Learn more about our architectural solutions.
Contact D.S. Brown
Connect with our D.S. Brown bridge products representatives – Ben Jacobus, Brent Toller, Mark Francis, Ralph Kleinman and Jack Mazur – for more detail.
You can also find D.S. Brown on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube and Instagram.