Airport pavement and joint repair training is so critical that D.S. Brown team members have held full on-site training at busy facilities like Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) Airport to keep the infrastructure in good repair while the very active facility (73 million customers every year) remains open.
Dennis Baldwin of DFW and Marty Shenfield of AECOM helped coordinate two extremely productive contractor training days at DFW in April, providing the time and space to demonstrate D.S. Brown Pavement products like Delastic Preformed Pavement (Compression) Seals, Delpatch Elastomeric Concrete and PaveSaver+ Polymeric Concrete Patch in real-life airport scenarios.
DFW maintenance and inspectors, engineering consultants, local contractors and contractors from around the U.S. and Canada took part in the training in advance of construction projects utilizing PaveSaver+ and Delastic Preformed Pavement Seals later this year.
Pavement Repair Products
D.S. Brown’s array of airport pavement repair products includes:
- Delastic Preformed Pavement (Compression) Seals for concrete pavement have one main purpose: to prevent water and debris from entering the joint. If that happens, the pavement can crack, chip, buckle and prematurely deteriorate. Delastic Seals can be used on both new joints and during joint reseal projects as long as the joints are not spalled and are in good overall shape.
- Delastall Automatic Installer – Kompressor is a self-propelled automatic installation machine used for the installation of Delastic® Preformed Pavement Seals. The Kompressor uses D.S. Brown supplied seal and lubricant adhesive.
- Delpatch™ Elastomeric Concrete is a 2-part polyurethane patching material mixed with proprietary aggregates. Delpatch™ Elastomeric Concrete has been specified and installed on airport runways and highways since 1983. Over time and through demonstrated field performance, Delpatch™ Elastomeric Concrete has proven to be extremely durable and cost-effective.
- Pavesaver+™ is a new generation of non-shrink epoxy-based elastomeric concrete featuring an ideal balance for both flexibility and strength. This unique combination provides an excellent long-term patching solution for repairing cracks and spalls on airfield, bridge decks, bridge expansion joint headers, and highway pavements.
The product and equipment demonstrations were a combination of instruction by D.S. Brown’s technical team (Bryan McKinney, Dennis Preston, Dan Carper and Kyle Dill) and hands-on participation by attendees focusing on concrete joint compression seal installation, concrete spalling repairs and operation/maintenance of compression seal equipment.
Delastall Kompressor Demonstration
Installation of Delastic Pavement Seal was demonstrated using the Delastall Kompressor. Attendees were shown how to run and adjust the Kompressor when installing seal in an expansion joint as well as proper maintenance/cleaning techniques of the machine itself.
In addition to the technical team, the training was also led by Pavement Sales Managers – Ryan Sypherd, Darren Johnson and Ethan Fuller. D.S. Brown’s Director of Production Eric Devine led the classroom instruction of D.S. Brown pavement products.
“By training on an active taxiway at DFW, participants gained invaluable on-site experience working with both joint seals and spall repair products,” said Ryan Sypherd, D.S. Brown’s National Sales Manager. “We were sharing workspace with aircraft operating all around us. This created a hands-on, real-life work atmosphere for us to demonstrate best practices of the core pavement products.”
Typically, D.S. Brown conducts training for pavement contractors at its facility in North Baltimore, Ohio. Onsite training at an active airfield is a new approach. DFW airport management saw potential upsides for reducing cost for training airfield maintenance and quality control staff, and D.S. Brown increased the realism of its hands-on sessions.
Contact us at D.S. Brown if you could benefit from additional training or need the help of one of our technical representatives.
About the D.S. Brown Company
The D.S. Brown Company, founded in 1890, designs, manufactures, and supplies engineered rubber, steel and concrete products for the transportation and infrastructure sector. D.S. Brown’s proprietary product line includes expansion joint systems, structural bearings, and waterproofing systems for constructing and rehabilitating highways and bridges. D.S. Brown’s home office and manufacturing facilities are in North Baltimore, Ohio. D.S. Brown is fully integrated, performing and controlling all manufacturing processes internally:
- Research and Development
- Engineering Design/CAD Detailing
- Extruding, Molding and Testing
- Custom Steel Fabrication and Machining
D.S. Brown has the most comprehensive product-line serving the transportation industry. We manufacture solutions for the most challenging infrastructure applications. Our high-quality engineered products are available worldwide for new construction and rehabilitation of bridges, highways, airfields, pavements, and parking structures.
- Bridges: Since the early 1960s, D.S. Brown has provided expansion joint systems and specialty products for bridges around the globe.
- Pavements: Building highways and airport pavements to last is a challenging engineering assignment, especially when the pavement must withstand heavy traffic, weather extremes, debilitating fuels and de-icing chemicals. You need reliable products with a proven track record.
- Architectural: D.S. Brown provides a variety of expansion joint products for parking garages and other architectural applications.
- Concrete Repair: D.S. Brown offers a variety of cementitious and composite solutions for various concrete repair projects.
Contact D.S. Brown
Connect with our D.S. Brown pavement representatives Uriah Carpenter (International), Ryan Sypherd (West), Darren Johnson (East) and Ethan Fuller (Central) for more detail.