For joint locations that produce demanding structural movements, use the Maurer System™ Swivel Expansion Joint Assembly. The Maurer System is designed for use on long-span structures, structures located in seismic zones and curved structures. Additionally, structures with differential longitudinal movements (caused by wind, thermal and seismic conditions) or differential vertical movements, and structures with anticipated substructure settlement will benefit from this expansion joint.
The Maurer System has proven it can handle more than the conventional large movement expansion devices, which have limited longitudinal movements and transverse displacement. The Maurer System is available in the United States through an exclusive license agreement between D.S. Brown and Maurer Sohne in Munich, Germany.
Performance Features Of The Maurer System™
By utilizing a common-to-all center-beam swiveling support bar, the Maurer System Swivel Expansion Joint Assembly is able to accommodate large longitudinal displacements (X), extensive transverse displacements (Y), and vertical displacements (Z), as well as vertical rotations of up to 10 degrees. The center-beams are free to slide on swiveling support bars, which provide equidistant control for center-beams without the limitations of typical mechanical control devices.
Seismic Movement Capability Of The Maurer System™
Dynamic tests conducted at the University of California at Berkeley subjected the Maurer System™ Swivel Expansion Joint Assembly by D.S. Brown to high-velocity seismic displacements. This first-of-its-kind test program included velocities of more than 40 inches per second (1015mm/sec) in both longitudinal and transverse directions. The successful test results proved the unique capabilities of this patented device in seismic applications.
Resources & Support For The Maurer System™
- What resources are available for the Maurer System™Swivel Expansion Joint Assembly?
- What case studies of the Maurer System™Swivel Expansion Joint Assembly are available?
- The Homer M. Hadley Memorial Floating Bridge is an example of the installation of four DS-1200 B Maurer™ Swivel Expansion Joint Assemblies by D.S. Brown. Two of the expansion joints were 42’ long, 12’ wide, and weighed 91,000 lbs. The other two joints were 66’ long, 12’ wide, and weighed 135,000 pounds apiece.
- Is there video of the Maurer System™Swivel Expansion Joint Assembly: I-90 Floating Bridge Repair – Expansion Joint Installation (May 9, 2009) - (Source - Washington State Department of Transportation)
About the D.S. Brown Company
Founded in 1890, D.S. Brown is a leading worldwide designer, supplier and manufacturer of engineered products for the bridge and highway industry. D.S. Brown’s home office and manufacturing facilities are in North Baltimore, Ohio.
D.S. Brown is fully integrated, performing and controlling all manufacturing processes internally:
- Research and Development
- Engineering Design/CAD Detailing
- Extruding, Molding and Testing
- Custom Steel Fabrication and Machining
D.S. Brown has the most comprehensive product-line serving the transportation industry. We manufacture solutions for the most challenging infrastructure applications. Our high-quality engineered products are available worldwide for new construction and rehabilitation of bridges, highways, airfields, pavements, and parking structures.
- Bridges: Since the early 1960s, D.S. Brown has provided expansion joint systems and specialty products for bridges around the globe. Learn more about our solutions for bridges.
- Pavements: Building highways and airport pavements to last is a challenging engineering assignment, especially when the pavement must withstand heavy traffic, weather extremes, debilitating fuels and de-icing chemicals. You need reliable products with a proven track record. Learn more about our solutions for pavements.
- Architectural: D.S. Brown provides a variety of expansion joint products for parking garages and other architectural applications. Learn more about our architectural solutions.
- Concrete Repairs: D.S. Brown offers a variety of cementitious and composite solutions for various concrete repair projects. Learn more about our concrete repair solutions.
Connect with D.S. Brown